Sunday, May 18, 2008

Weekly reflection #2

This week I learned a lot, and much more about the process of meetings and documentation for a student with special needs. Mrs. Black showed me a file of one of her students so I could have a better sense of his background, and development over the years. In the first week I did a lot of observing, but this past week Mrs. Black had me actually interacting with the kids more. I read to the children, and helped Mrs. Black during her classes by demonstrating proper behavior. However, I also had the chance to lead the group meeting. It was a lot of fun because I watch Mrs. Black lead it every day, and it was nice to have a chance to exercise my observations, and see if I could handle the responsibility. I was happy to see that I could do it, and that the children liked the game I had made. Later, Mrs. Black asked me if I wanted to work one on one with the autistic child who she works with in the minimal distraction room. Although a bit nervous I was willing and excited to take on the challenge. While in the room, I used some of the techniques I had observed Mrs. Black using. If he didn’t answer a question I would re-ask it or pose the question differently. I really appreciate that Mrs. Black has trusted me, and given me great opportunities and chances. She understands the whole concept of the project, and is supporting me to get the most out of these couple of weeks. I love working with Mrs. Black because I want to fully experience everything that goes into being a special education teacher, and she has helped me so much. The other day Mrs. Black invited me to sit in on an IEP meeting. It was definitely the most interesting meeting I have ever sat in on. I know the student that they were meeting about, which made it even more intriguing. I have benefited by becoming more knowledgeable through first hand learning.

Going into this senior project, I thought it would just be interesting and fun to do for the three weeks I have. I had no idea I would love what I am doing so much, and that I want to do something like this as a career. Working with Mrs. Black has given me an incredibly unexpected inspiration to follow her path, and do some type of work in the special needs area. Even seeing the children’s learning or special needs improve over this short period of time makes me feel so good, and doing this for my life seems like one of the most rewarding things. Mrs. Black seems to get such pleasure out of helping people every day. I have never heard her complain, about driving extremely far to work, having to stay late for a meeting, or not being able to eat lunch.

Another pro is that I have been learning a lot from Mrs. Black about the alphabet. I am learning phonics, and more things that I never learned. While she teaches the children, I am also learning. I will benefit from this week by my increased knowledge and hands on experience. In addition, as each day passes I feel more comfortable at the school, which is always a benefit. Next week I will be sitting in normal classrooms, and observing students. I will be primarily observing how the children in the special needs program interact in the regular classroom setting. I am so excited for this week, but wish I had more time.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Madde, nice job on your second reflection. I am glad that you are continuing to learn a great deal from your experience. It is indeed very rewarding to work with kids individually and to see how they are progressing on a day to day basis. I look forward to reading your observations of the special needs children in the mainstream setting of the classroom. Keep up the good work~