Sunday, May 25, 2008

Weekly reflection #3

This was another successful week. It wasn’t as much fun because for the majority of the week the students were doing testing. However, I still had fun and learned a great deal.

I learned a lot about IEP’s this week. Mrs. Black and I discussed one that took place the previous week, and reviewed the file. An IEP is a legal document that is mandated by NH state standards and federal standards. All people involved with the child at the school meet with the parents, and the student’s strengths and weaknesses in academic places are reviewed. I sat in on a second one this week, and it was nice to sit on another after reviewing the process with Mrs. Black. I really enjoyed the meetings because I was able to learn more about the children.

We also did a lot of spelling this week. The usual students had their lists of spelling words. Mrs. Black would read down the list as they would write the word they heard. If they didn’t get the word right, they had 2 more times to re-write it. We also did spelling words in group. Mrs. Black taught me about how she teaches the kids to write letters. She compares it to a house. If the letter is uppercase it should extend up into the roof, the body should stay in the house, and if it’s a letter like a j, it goes down into the basement.

I also helped out with the testing. A student would tell me what they wanted to say, and I would write exactly what they had told me. This way, the test readers would be able to read what they wrote. Sometimes it was difficult because I wanted to help out the children who were struggling, but all I could do was read and re-read the questions.

In addition, I was able to sit in some regular classrooms. I enjoyed it because I helped out some students trying to figure out how to do an activity. However, I wasn’t able to see any of the kids who meet with Mrs. Black in the regular classroom setting, which I was hoping to do.

This week didn’t have many surprises. It was pretty calm because of the testing, but was very hectic on Thursday with four IEP’s in one day. I enjoyed my last week very much, and will definitely be back to KRES to visit.

No comments: